cancel n : a notation cancelling a previous sharp or flat [syn: natural]
1 postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled; "Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party" [syn: call off]
3 declare null and void; make ineffective; "Cancel the election results"; "strike down a law" [syn: strike down]
4 remove or make invisible; "Please delete my name from your list" [syn: delete]
Etymologyfrom Latin cancelli a railing or lattice.
- To cross out something with lines etc.
- To invalidate or
- He cancelled his order on their website.
- To mark something (such
as a used postage
stamp) so that it can't be reused.
- This machine cancels the letters that have a valid zip code.
- To offset or equalize something.
- The corrective feedback mechanism cancels out the noise.
- To remove a common factor from both the numerator and denominator of a fraction, or from both sides of an equation.
- Danish: strege ud, stryge
- Finnish: yliviivata
- German: ausstreichen
- Czech: zrušit, stornovat
- Danish: annullere, afbestille, aflyse
- Finnish: mitätöidä, kumota
- French: annuler, résilier (a telephone contract, a subscription), se désabonner (a subscription), mettre fin
- German: annullieren, streichen
- Greek: ακυρώνω
- Hebrew: לבטל (le'vat'el)
- Swedish: annullera, avbryta (about an action)
mark as used
- Danish: stemple (cancelling stamps)
- French: oblitérer (cancelling stamps)
- German: entwerten, abstempeln
- Danish: ophæve
- French: neutraliser, compenser
remove a common factor
- Danish: forkorte
- French: éliminer, annuler
- German: kürzen
- Swedish: förkorta
- A cancellation.
mark cancelling a sharp or flat
Cancel may refer to:
- Cancellation (mail), in mail, a postal marking applied to a stamp or stationery indicating that the item has been used
- Cancellation (television), the termination of a television series
- "Cancelled" (South Park) an episode of South Park
- Cancellation property, the property that if a * b = a * c then b = c
- Loss of significance when doing calculations with floating point numbers
- Noise cancellation, a method for reducing unwanted sound
- Phase cancellation, the effect of two waves that are out of phase with each other being summed
- Cancel message, in Usenet, a special message used to remove articles posted to news server
- Cancel character, in telecommunication, an indication that the data with which it is associated are in error or are to be disregarded
- Cancellation of removal, a form of immigration relief available to aliens in the United States who be otherwise inadmissible or deportable
- An alternate name for the archangel Camael.
KO, abandon, abbreviate, abolish, abolishment, abolition, abort, abridge, abrogate, abrogation, absolve, accent, accent mark, accommodate, adjust, annihilate, annul, annulment, balance, bar, belay, black out, blot, blot out, blotting, blotting out, blue-pencil, bowdlerize, bring to naught, bring to nothing, buffer, call off, cancel out, canceling, cancellation, cassation, cease, censor, character, come to nothing, compensate, compensate for, complete, coordinate, counteract, counterbalance, countermand, counterorder, counterpoise, countervail, cross out, custos, cut, cut it out, declare a moratorium, defeasance, dele, delete, deletion, deny, deracinate, desist, direct, disannul, discontinue, dispose of, do away with, dot, drop, drop it, drop the curtain, edit, edit out, efface, effacement, eliminate, end, end off, equalize, equate, eradicate, erase, erasure, even, even up, expression mark, expunction, expunge, expurgate, extinguish, fermata, finalize, finish, fit, fold up, frustrate, get it over, get over with, get through with, give over, give the quietus, give up, halt, have done with, hold, integrate, invalidate, invalidation, kayo, key signature, kibosh, kill, knock it off, knock out, lay off, lead, leave off, level, ligature, make up for, make void, mark, measure, metronomic mark, negate, negativate, negative, neutralize, notation, nullification, nullify, obliterate, obliteration, offset, omit, override, overrule, pause, perfect, poise, polish off, presa, proportion, put paid to, quash, quit, raze, recall, recant, recantation, redeem, refrain, relinquish, renege, renounce, repeal, repudiate, rescind, rescinding, rescindment, rescission, retract, retraction, reversal, reverse, revocation, revoke, revokement, rub out, rule out, scrag, scratch, scratch out, scrub, scrubbing, segno, set aside, setting aside, shoot down, sign, signature, slur, sponge, sponge out, square, stay, stop, strike, strike a balance, strike off, strike out, stultify, surrender, suspend, suspension, swell, symbol, tempo mark, terminate, thwart, tie, time signature, undo, vacate, vacation, vacatur, vinculum, vitiate, void, voidance, voiding, waive, waiver, waiving, washing out, wipe out, wiping out, withdraw, withdrawal, write off, write-off, zap